Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Zoo Debate From My Perspective

It’s been too long since I've made an entry in my blog and I'm afraid I've chosen a rather contentious topic to get things going again. Not all will agree with me and I understand that. Emotions are certainly involved in many of the discussions that occur around zoos, as I believe is right and proper. As you know from this blog or because you know me personally, I'm very passionate about wildlife and that passion fuels an emotional response to issues that involve them. So I can say with honesty that I understand the concerns people have about zoos. I also think it’s important to look at all sides when it comes to an issue, any issue, and I don’t believe that always happens in the case of zoos - especially when I hear things said like, "better dead than in a zoo". 

I've said it before, many times, and I’ll say it again: I do not believe people should paint all zoos with the same brush. Not only do I think it’s a mistake, but irresponsible to do so. There are some good zoos and some bad zoos, with others falling somewhere in between. Just as there are some good sanctuaries and bad sanctuaries, some good wildlife rehabilitation facilities and some bad ones. Just because a captive facility decides to call itself a sanctuary doesn't automatically make it a good place. Do I support all zoos and captive facilities? No. Do I think any individual zoo does everything right? No. Do I think we should look to constantly improve things? Yes, always. Would I prefer to see an animal in the wild? Of course. Do I understand the benefits of a good, modern day zoo and the positive contributions they can and do make to conservation and education? YES. I think it’s extremely important to acknowledge this in order to really understand the issues and have an informed discussion. Even the well-respected, world-renowned primatologist, Dr. Jane Goodall takes the view that some zoos do a good job of public education.

When I think about the debate, those most often against zoos are animal welfare organizations. And while I believe these organizations are very important, the captivity issue is one where I don't agree with everything they believe. I support many animal welfare campaigns because there is terrible, disgraceful animal suffering going on around the world and those organizations have an important and positive role to play. I have and will continue to support campaigns to move a specific animal or group of animals from a bad zoo or other bad captive facility to a healthier, kinder and more suitable place. I fully believe that ANY place that holds captive animals – whether that is a zoo, a sanctuary, a wildlife rehab facility or somewhere else – should be constantly reviewed and held to the highest standards possible; improving the standards of care and housing should be of the utmost importance. And animal welfare organizations work hard to make that happen. But I don’t believe that being against all zoos helps with the bigger picture.

In a perfect world, all animals would be free to live in the wild without interference from humans and everyone would respect their rights as living beings to exist as part of a balanced ecosystem. We also wouldn't be carving up the planet for gain, greed and consumption for an ever-growing human population to the detriment of every living being, including us, on the planet. Until there is a drastic shift in how we do business, ‘the wild’ isn't as safe a place for wildlife as it once may have been, and good zoos play an important role in helping to conserve global species.  

Welfare organizations don’t believe animals should be used for entertainment and I agree one hundred percent. I avoid movies that use wildlife animal 'actors', I despise places like circuses and Marineland where animals are abused in order to perform tricks that make humans laugh, and I definitely don’t support bad zoos. To welfare organizations though, all zoos are considered equal and as bad as those places I just listed; all entertainment, devoid of conservation and education. But good zoos are definitely not on my list of “places of entertainment”. In good zoos animals don’t perform tricks for the crowd and are not abused in order to bend to a keeper’s will. Good zoos strive to provide a healthy captive environment, they strive to contribute to wild conservation efforts, and they strive to educate visitors on the important conservation issues. 

During my extensive years as a zoo volunteer I have learned many things that have helped shape my understanding of wildlife and global conservation issues. I have learned about captive breeding and the role zoos have played in saving many notable wildlife species that were successfully returned to the wild. I have learned that some of the top wildlife biologists & researchers are using studies done by zoos to help them fill in the blanks for wild species that might not be easily studied. I have learned that good zoos work with Universities to enhance their students' areas of study. I have learned that good zoos monetarily support conservation projects in the wild. I have learned about the illegal wildlife trade and about how devastating it is to wildlife populations. I have learned about wildlife taxonomy, species relationships and amazing facts about many animals across the globe. I have learned how to talk to people about wildlife conservation and what they can do to help. I have learned where I draw my personal moral lines. And, maybe most importantly, I have learned that in many situations there is a lot more ‘grey’ than black or white.

I have loved animals since I was a kid but was never sure of how to bridge the gap between how I felt about them and working to help them until I started volunteering at the zoo in my mid-20s. My professional career in conservation was greatly influenced by my time volunteering and learning at the zoo. So, it is personally insulting to hear it said that zoos have no role in the conservation of species or in the education of the public; I’m proof that statement is false. And I've had the good fortune to have been told by many zoo visitors over the years that their interactions with me, learning about the zoo's animals and their wild counterparts, are what made them change many aspects of their lives to help in the conservation of wildlife and the planet. This is why I still believe there is a place for good, modern zoos to play an important role in wildlife conservation and education.

No comments:

Post a Comment