Monday, May 28, 2012

Interview

A couple of months ago I was interviewed by Evelyn Senyi about my experience as a volunteer for Polar Bears International. Below is the interview taken from her blog, The Green Ink Pot (http://evelynsenyi.wordpress.com/).

Polar Bears and Churchill – the real deal


Churchill Wildlife Management Area © Lenore N

A Conversation with Lenore Nadeau
I recently had the opportunity to sit down with one very lucky woman – Lenore Nadeau – who has traveled to Churchill, Manitoba not once but three times. She was able to share some of her experiences, impressions and insights with me as to the state of polar bears in Churchill.

Q: I understand that you were able to travel to Churchill, Manitoba to work with polar bears on three different visits; can you talk a little bit about your time there?
A: My first time was in 2007 when I was working with WWF and we were helping the biologists that are tracking polar bears through satellite tracking collars. We spent three or four days in the town and one day out with the researchers collaring bears. My second trip was in 2008 when I went up in association with Polar Bears International.
Q: How did you get involved with Polar Bears International?
A: That was through my work with WWF. Polar Bears International (PBI) is interested in conserving polar bears and their habitat world-wide through research, stewardship and education. They are amazing in that they have made many different partnerships to help them reach their goals. They work with the eminent polar bear scientists, they have great partnerships with the American Association of Zoos and Aquariums and other zoos in Australia and Europe, and also work with other charitable groups like WWF.
In 2008 PBI was interested in having someone from WWF go to their arctic ambassador camp for teens and I was fortunate enough to be that person. We stayed out in a hotel for five days where the wild bears were gathering, just snoozing outside your window. It’s an amazing way to immerse these teens in this culture and environment. We also had some elders from the Cree nation, who still work the trap lines, come and talk to the students about their way of life and how it is very different from the way of life in the south. The camp not only exposes the teens to the issues that are happening in Churchill and globally with climate change and obviously with the polar bear, but it also exposes them to many other points of view. It’s a very different way of life up there.
Once I started the relationship with PBI I always stayed in touch with them even when I was no longer working with WWF. In 2010 they asked me to volunteer in Churchill for three weeks to help with bear season. I basically just helped them with logistics and anything they needed. But it was a really interesting role because I got to meet some of the people that I had never met on my prior two trips from zoos all across U.S. and Canada and some of the polar bear scientists.
Q: There is a big debate going on as to the health of the polar bear population world-wide and specifically the Western Hudson Bay population. What were your impressions of the health of that population?
A: From just visually seeing them at that time of the year they are skinnier anyways because they are fasting. The Western Hudson Bay population, which are the Manitoba bears, has always been forced ashore just based on the geographic area they live in so that’s not really the issue. The extension of the off-ice period is now three weeks longer and that’s the issue. So yes, I was seeing thinner bears my third trip then I was on my first but I can’t say that is scientific. You only see a number of bears and it’s really tough to say for certain.
Q: Do you think that the population is stable?
A: All the data says that the Western Hudson Bay population is actually fairing the worst. The scientists maintain that unless major changes are made we will lose certain populations.
Q: A lot of money is being spent on what’s being termed “conservation efforts” by WWF, PBI, Greenpeace and a lot of other organizations. How do you think that money is translating into actual help for the polar bears?
A: That’s a tough question because it depends on the organization that’s spending the money. Everyone has different efforts that they are working on. I think where PBI has had a lot of success is in their partnerships; they have access to the wild researchers, relationships with zoos and other like-minded organizations so their efforts to educate the general public with this information has spread. I think you need to educate people and inspire them to take action. It’s at the next level up where I think we are getting stuck, with the bigger picture conservation. I don’t want to give the impression that I believe that conservation efforts have failed because obviously I wouldn’t do what I do if I believed that. I think we have been successful in getting the word out, on some protection efforts and in research. But as far as going farther towards greater protection it hasn’t really gotten to the level it needs to get.
Q: Then do you think the polar bear should be listed as a species at risk?
A: The U.S. has listed them as a threatened species, Canada has not done that. Canada is a bit more complicated because we have aboriginal people who still hunt polar bears and that’s their recognized cultural right. If the polar bear were to be listed in Canada in any sort of category that meant no more hunting then we would potentially be taking away those cultural rights. On the other hand, we may get to a point where polar bear numbers are too low to sustain even subsistence hunting.
Q: So you support aboriginal subsistence hunting?
A: I support subsistence hunting, yes. People who live in the arctic don’t have the same kinds of things we have here, they live off the land and use the resources that the planet gives them.
Q: There is a lot of money and attention being paid on the polar bear and a lot of people would argue that while they may become endangered in the future due to climate change, there are other species that are disappearing at a much faster rate and are far more endangered, say amphibians for example, for which not enough attention is being paid. Where do you think our conservation dollars dollar should be spent?
A: That’s a tough question for me to answer. I’m a huge advocate of conserving all wildlife because my belief is that every single species that lives on this planet has a place and if it’s taken out of the ecosystem it throws everything off balance. I don’t think that any conservation dollars we spend are a waste. The way that PBI frames their work in the arctic is that by protecting the polar bear, this iconic mega fauna, they will protect its habitat and everything else that lives in it. So you hope that by taking one animal and making it the iconic species for whatever that cause is that even the smallest microorganism that lives in that ecosystem will be protected if their habitat is protected.

Lenore Nadeau has worked in conservation for over ten years with organizations such as World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Canada, Ontario Nature and the Toronto and Region Conservation Authority. She is also a long-time volunteer with the Toronto Zoo and Polar Bears International (PBI).
For more information on Polar Bears International please visit their website: www.polarbearsinternational.org

No comments:

Post a Comment